Trinity College Cambridge N/A

Trinity College, Cambridge was founded by Henry VIII in 1546, incorporating two ancient foundations, Michaelhouse and King's Hall. Michaelhouse had been founded in 1324 by Hervey de Stanton, and perhaps used the founder's arms Vair a canton gules, though it's seal of foundation shows St Michael and the dragon. King's Hall was founded in 1337 by Edward III, carrying out the intention of Edward II. It is said to have born the arms Gules three lions passant gardant a bordure engrailed ermine, which except for the tincture of the bordure is the same as that of its sister foundation King's Hall, Oxford (now Oriel College). The royal lion and the roses in the arms refer no doubt to the royal foundation. A large part of the original buildings of Michaelhouse and King's Hall survive in Trinity Great Court. The stamp is of the early nineteenth century and is used for College prizes.

Stamp(s) Stamp Information
Trinity College Cambridge (Stamp 1) Motto: Virtus vera nobilitas
Arms: Argent a chevron between three roses gules on a chief a lion passant gardant between two closed books
Heraldic Charges: chevron between, Heraldic Charges: chief, on a, Heraldic Charges: roses (3), Heraldic Charges: lion passant gardant between, Heraldic Charges: books (2)
Trinity College Cambridge (Stamp 2) Arms: Argent a chevron between three roses gules on a chief a lion passant gardant between two closed books
Heraldic Charges: chevron between, Heraldic Charges: chief, on a, Heraldic Charges: roses (3), Heraldic Charges: lion passant gardant between, Heraldic Charges: books (2)