Trinity College Oxford N/A
The site and derelict buildings of Durham College, a monastic foundation, were acquired by Sir Thomas Pope, in February 1555, and on this spot he founded Trinity College, consisting of a President, twelve fellows and eight scholars. The original statutes provided for a library and he himself gave a hundred books. The books were chained until the middle of the eighteenth century. The hall was completed in 1620, and in 1665, the buildings of Durham College were so decayed, that reconstruction was necessary. Sir Christopher Wren built the garden quadrangle. The chapel was completed in 1691, and owes much to suggestions by Grinling Gibbons and Wren. The President's House and New Building were added in 1883 to make a new quadrangle incorporating Perilous or Kettle Hall on Broad Street. The college uses the arms and crest of its founder.