Trinity House N/A
Trinity House came into being in 1514 by Royal Charter granted by Henry VIII under the name "The Master, Wardens, and Assistants of the Guild, Fraternity, or Brotherhood of the most glorious and undivided Trinity, and of St. Clement in the Parish of Deptford-Strond in the County of Kent." The Charter was confirmed by James II in 1763. The name of the guild derives from the church of Holy Trinity and St Clement, which adjoined the king's new dockyard at Deptford. Trinity House is the General Lighthouse Authority for England, Wales, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar, and is responsible for the maintenance of general aids to navigation, from lighthouses to radar beacons. It is a charitable organisation dedicated to the safety, welfare and training of mariners. The current Master of the Corporation is the Duke of Edinburgh. Former Masters include Samuel Pepys, the Duke of Wellington, and Admiral William Penn, father of the founder of Pennsylvania.