University College Oxford N/A
University College Oxford was founded by William, Archdeacon of Durham, who left 310 marks to the University of Oxford in 1249 for the benefit and support of a certain number of masters. The University at first placed the money in its chest and part of it was dissipated in loans. When only 210 marks remained the sum was spent on buying houses, one of which, on the site of the corner of the High Street frontage of Brasenose College, became known as the Little Hall of the University. Other houses were bought, including Brasenose Hall, but the whole was not truly a college until statutes were granted in 1292. These include regulations about books including their loan to non members, but it is not until 1391 that there is mention of a library. In 1332 the College moved to its present site. In 1374 the College was involved in a law suit as a result of which, in their appeal to the king, they claimed to have been founded by King Alfred. As a result the arms attributed to King Alfred were adopted in place of those of the true founder. The stamp is probably that used for college prizes.