Wadham College Oxford N/A
Wadham College Oxford was founded in 1609 under the will of Nicholas Wadham. His widow, Dorothy, daughter of Sir William Petre, after Gloucester Hall had refused the benefaction, purchased the site of the suppressed house of Augustinian Friars and built the front quadrangle with the hall, chapel and library. The college uses the arms of the founder impaling those of his widow. Regulations for the library were included in the original statutes, and the library room which was started in 1609 and finished in 1613, was in use until 1977. Duplicates were sold in 1736, and again in 1788, the proceeds being used to buy more books.