Watts, Gilbert -1657)
Gilbert Watts was a younger son of Richard Watts, of Barnes Hall, Ecclesfield in Yorkshire, and Isabel, daughter of Arthur Alcock, and widow of Thomas Scott, of Barnes Hall. After a few terms at Cambridge, he migrated, in 1607, to Lincoln College, Oxford where he was founder's kin. There he took his B.A. in 1611, his M.A. in 1614, and his B.D. in 1623. A Fellow of the College 1621 1648, and Rector of Willingale Doe in Essex, he was made a D.D. during the King's visit to Oxford in 1642. His fellowship and benefice were sequestered. He died 9 September 1657, and was buried in All Saints Church, Oxford, and left Lincoln College part of his library. An excellent linguist and a good preacher, he made a translation of Bacon's De augmentis scientarum published in 1640 under the title of The advancement and proficience of learning. Several copies exist in bindings with his arms, probably intended for presentation.