The dexter arms and the crest are recorded to John Webster of Cheshire, who died in 1601 leaving an only daughter. The motto is also given for Webster. It is clear that the owner of the stamp was a considerable collector of medieval manuscripts, and it is evident from the bindings on which the stamp appears, that the owner of the stamp was collecting at the beginning of the nineteenth century. The books were probably dispersed before the Edwards of Halifax sale in 1828 in which at least two of them feature. They did not belong to John Webster LL.D., an Aberdeen Advocate, whose collection of `historical Manuscripts and State Papers' was sold by Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge on 5 May 1892, and part of his library on 27 March 1893. Neither of his sales included any illuminated manuscripts or printed books, the former consisting entirely of historical autographs.