Wilmer, George (1582 -1626)
George Wilmer, of Stratford le Bow in Middlesex, was the second son of George Wilmer, of West Ham in Essex, and his first wife, Susan Cole. He was educated at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he matriculated a Fellow Commoner at Easter 1598, and took his B.A. in 1601. He was admitted to the Middle Temple in 1602, and became Collector of the Petty Customs imposed on the Goods of Merchant Strangers and on Foreign Hops in the Port of London. He married, in or about 1606, Margery, daughter and eventual coheir of Marmaduke Thwenge, Lord of the Manor of Upper Helmsley in Yorkshire, and representative of the families of De Brus of Skelton and de Lancaster, Baron of Kendal. There is a list of thirty eight manuscripts given by him to Trinity College, Cambridge in the College’s Donors Book, p. 96, but his library seems to have descended to his great great granddaughter, Anne, wife of William Gossip of Thorparch in Yorkshire. Their great grandson Randall Gossip took the name Hatfeild in place of Gossip by Royal Licence 16 October 1844. Stamp 2 was also used by George Wilmer's son.