Durham Cathedral

Person Key: 
Corporate Owner: 
Durham Cathedral
Family Name: 

Durham Cathedral's Dean and Chapter Library has an unbroken tradition back to the old monastic collection, 360 volumes of which are still in the library, the last of the pre reformation catalogues, written in 1391 and 1395, having listed about 500. Books were written within the monastery from the 12th to the 15th century, and the library still owns books from the earlier foundation at Lindisfarne. The armorial stamps date back to the time of Bishop John Cosin, who founded the Cosin Library on Palace Green at the end of the seventeenth century. He had one cut for the donation register, and was probably responsible for the cutting of two. The third stamp seems to date only from the nineteenth century, and was recut to make 4, which was used not only on books from the library, but also for prize books for the Choir School.

Biographical Sources: 
H.D. Hughes A history of Durham Cathedral Library. Durham, 1925.