Gonville and Caius College Cambridge

Person Key: 
GON001
Corporate Owner: 
Gonville and Caius College Cambridge
Family Name: 
Biography: 

Usually called Caius, the college was founded by Edmund Gonville, Rector of Torrington in 1348 as Gonville Hall. However Gonville died in 1351 and his friend Bishop Bateman moved the site of the Hall, gave it new statutes and renamed it the Hall of the Annunciation of the Blassed Virgin Mary. Dr John Caius, originally Kees, a native of Norwich was a student of Gonville Hall, took his Doctor of Medicine degree at Padua, and on his return was elected President of the College of Physicians. On offering to endow Gonville Hall, he discovered that it had never been properly incorporated, so he obtained a Royal Charter for the College 4 September 1557. Soon after he was elected Master of the College, and remained so for the remainder of his life.