Oriental Club N/A

The Oriental Club is a gentleman’s club in London. Founded in 1824,by Sir John Malcolm, it was situated at 18 Hanover Square, London, until 1961 when its premises were moved to Stratford House in Stratford Place close to Oxford Street, London. Stratford House was designed by Robert Adam and was built between 1770 and 1776 for Edward Stratford, 2nd Earl of Aldborough. The flag flying above the club house bears an Indian elephant, which is the badge of the club.

The first president of the Oriental Club was the Duke of Wellington, with a committee made up of forty individuals, resident or employed in the public service of His Majesty, or the East-India Company, in any part of Asia, St Helena, Egypt, the Cape of Good Hope,Mauritius, and Constantinople, or whose official situations connect them with the administration of Great Britain’s Eastern government abroad or at home. After Wellington's death in 1852, no further Presidents were appointed.  

Stamp(s) Stamp Information
Oriental Club (Stamp 1) Title: Oriental Club (Stamp 1)
Crest: An elephant statant saddled and bridled
Dimensions (height x width): 15mm x 12mm
Monogram: O C
Heraldic Charges: elephant