Society of Antiquaries of Scotland N/A

The Society of Antiquaries of Scotland was founded by David Steuart Erskine, 11th Earl of Buchan, on 18 December 1780. John Stuart, 3rd Earl of Bute, the former prime minister, was elected the first President. Members of the Society collected artefacts of interest to Scottish history and culture from its foundation, and soon the Society developed a sizeable collection. In November 1851 the signing of a Deed of Conveyance with the Board of Manufactures on behalf of Parliament made the Society collections National Property. In 1891 the antiquaries moved into the purpose-built Scottish National Portrait Gallery and National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland, located on Queen Street.

Stamp(s) Stamp Information
Society of Antiquaries of Scotland (Stamp 1) Badge: A saltire ensigned of a royal crown below a thistle on the saltire an eight pointed star with INS / 1780 and the legend EX LIB. SOCI. ANT. SCOT.
Heraldic Charges: estoile, Heraldic Charges: saltire, Heraldic Charges: thistle