Temple N/A

Burke’s General Armory indicates that the crest and motto belonged to Temple, Viscount Palmerston. The stamp, therefore, could have belonged to Henry Temple, 1stViscount Palmerston (1673-1757); Henry Temple, 2ndViscount Palmerston (1739-1802); or Henry John Temple, 3rdViscount Palmerston (1784-1865).

Henry Temple was created 12 Mar 1722/3 Baron Temple, of Mount Temple in the County of Sligo, and Viscount Palmerston, of Palmerston in the County of Dublin. The second Viscount succeeded to the title on the death of his father in 1757.  The third and last Viscount Palmerston Prime Minister and First Lord of the Treasury, succeeded in 1802.  With his death in 1865 the titles became extinct.

However, since the stamp has no coronet, it is a little unlikely to be have belonged to a Viscount Palmerston.  Only one Temple bookplate of a crest is listed by Franks (29100). On the back of this bookplate is written “Revd. John Temple”, but it is impossible to give a positive identification at this time. The CCED lists three possibilities. The first John Temple died in 1790, having served as curate in various parishes in Essex, Middlesex, and Cumberland.  The second died in 1795.  The third died in 1810, having been rector of several parishes in Norfolk. 

Stamp(s) Stamp Information
Title: Temple (Stamp 1)
Crest: Talbot sejant
Motto: Flecti non frangi
Dimensions (height x width): 25mm x 30mm
Heraldic Charges: talbot